Monday, March 5, 2012

Training--a few weeks in.

I'm starting on week #3 of my half marathon training and it's going just fine. I did end up missing on short 3 mile run the first week due to my prior commitments with an event that I wasn't able to schedule a run around. Otherwise, I've been on track and doing good. I finally treated myself to new running gear. Shirts, a jacket, pants, capris, socks, shoes--pretty much everything that I've needed for quite awhile. I tried out a different brand of shoes and love them so far! I'm really loving the "shape-wear" pants I found made by Danskin. When I have them on it looks almost as if I had some liposuction! Whoo! So--yeah..new gear is always a plus.

As for the running, it's good. I'm not going to say it's stellar or great, but I'm a work in progress--as anyone should be. I'm following the Hal Higdon plan and liking it thus far. As the mileage increases on my weekend runs..I get a bit nervous..afraid I'm not going to be able to do it, but only time will tell.
I'm still using Netflix on my phone and classical music to help me stave off boredom on the 'Mill..but it seems to be getting much nicer outside (where's the winter this year?) so hopefully I can start taking advantage of that soon. It's hard to do that when my only chance to run is early in the morning when it's the darkest and coldest. Soon though.  Soon.

I ran my first "official" race this past Saturday (March 3rd) it was a virtual race via Twitter called #anywhere5k. It was pretty neat to register (it was free!) and run anywhere (hence the name) and then report back your time and have results posted. Check out the #Anywhere5k results here!



Well, that's my update for now. Be back in a few weeks to do another update. My 30th birthday less than a week away--my gift to myself? A 6 mile run! Hopefully outside too!

PS: My newest favorite quote: "Pain is temporary, internet results are forever."

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear your progress! Do they have any virtual races over here in the UK I wonder? My confidence is pretty low where running is concerned as I had surgery on both feet a year ago. and that kind of race would be a boost for me. So far am comfortably back to running 8k/10k but it's a work in progress.

    Happy training!

    ReplyDelete