Tuesday, January 25, 2011

the track.

i like running because it gives my mind time to roam. today i realized that even though i'm only just beginning week 4, i've gotten a bit off track already. i realized that i've been focusing on the wrong thing. i've been focusing on how many miles i've been running, instead of my original goal--which is to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping. i'm not sure if it's the blog, or the run schedule that i have hanging on my fridge that i fill out each day or what..but i've been feeling like i have to compete with each day, each week and see an increase in my mileage. but that's not the point of these 10 weeks. i know that i can run 2 miles with a good time and speed.  but can i keep up that speed for 30 minutes? no, probably not...at least not right now.  yes, i like seeing that daily number on the treadmill, on my schedule and being able to report how many miles i ran in a week, seeing the number go up, impressing myself...  but...again, i'm missing the point of my own goal.  i'm not competing in a race. i'm not trying to pass a fitness test.  i'm not trying to beat anyone..except for myself and to meet this goal.
so today as i was running, i decided to keep it at a slower, but steady/even pace. and even though i didn't get the exact mileage in today that i wanted to, i kept up the pace the entire time.  and THAT'S what my goal is all about. so i'm glad that i got back on track today and re-focused my brain on what i'm striving for. it's not about the miles. it's about the distance..ha..does that even make sense? well, it does to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment